Meditation is about more than just staying stress-free and centered.
Every mind-bending experience… Every creative stroke of genius…
Every twist and turn of everyday life…
It all begins with consciousness.
A contemplative practice isn’t about attaining and retaining a “spiritual” state of being…
It’s about Freedom of Choice—and Freedom of Motion
This is where you’ll find exercises and practical insights into all the ways that you can move your awareness.
From the little things that improve your life… To the big things that change it…
So you can Explore Your Consciousness—and discover all the experiences that are only a motion away…
- I’m always surprised by peoples’ objections to meditation—by all the reasons they aren’t interested. They think it’s boring, or pointless, or that they need to become a Buddhist. They think it’s all about relaxing. Or that meditation is somehow an end in itself. I get it. If all that were true, I wouldn’t do it either! Read More »
- One of the most persistent myths floating around the spiritual landscape is that altered states of consciousness are a hallmark of being “spiritually evolved.” That those kinds of experiences just don’t happen to you unless you are very highly developed… It’s a favorite story among young, idealistic seekers who really want to be evolved. And among enthusiastic gurus who really want to be seen as being evolved. The problem is that it simply isn’t true. Read More »
- The first few times we realize enlightenment, we are so taken with the experience that we don’t even question it. It’s just so powerful—so apparent—that we accept it at face value. Kind of like when the ancient astronomers observed the sun and stars revolving around the Earth… Read More »
- Up next in the Everyday Awareness series: a quick and easy way to get out of your head—and back into your body. You can do it when you’re stressed or anxious or ruminating or freaking out… and it will make you feel better. And when I say quick… I mean SUPER quick! This one works. And it won’t even take you a full minute! Read More »
- By far, the most common questions I get asked are about how to have more / more interesting / different experiences. But having an experience is only one part of the equation… You also have to remember it when it’s done. Read More »
- A few articles back, I wrote about The Death of the Now. About Einstein’s discoveries on the nature of time and space… And their devastating impact on traditional spirituality. And I got a lot of feedback from people hoping to show me HOW EASY IT IS to center my awareness in the here and now… To BE present. Apparently, while I was poking holes in the old-fashioned INTERPRETATIONS of abiding spiritual experience, I didn’t do enough to validate the EXPERIENCE ITSELF. So let’s pick up the present moment again… This time, from an experiential perspective. And explore some of the profound insights and liberating changes that come from being present. (And then I’ll stab a few more holes in it at the end. Just for fun!) Read More »
- I often tell people that the contemplative arts are like martial arts for your mind... Just think of the contemplative traditions like the rival schools in every martial arts movie ever made… Every school claims to be better / tougher / more authentic than every other. They all have a direct lineage to some legendary, undefeated master. And they all have some secret super-move, which “if done right, no can defend.” Read More »
- Up next in the Everyday Awareness series: a simple way to deal with anxiety. Anxiety is a common theme in popular meditation rituals. Unfortunately, many of the techniques floating around out there will actually make things worse! (Spoiler: Do NOT sit indoors and focus on your breath!!) Read More »
- One of the things that people get really hung up on when they learn to meditate, is trying to figure out what to do with their thoughts. There’s this popular idea that meditation is all about NOT THINKING. And people get really discouraged when they can’t make their thoughts stop flowing. It IS possible to stop that internal dialogue… But that’s really not what it’s about… Read More »
- Mindfulness and meditation are all the rage these days. But there is no magical, “mindful” state of awareness that will deliver all of the diverse benefits we seek. And striving to attain one just makes meditation tedious and confusing—and much smaller than it should be. Read More »
- Last time out, we dug into the idea that having spiritual experiences has nothing to do with how “evolved” you are. That those experiences come from moving your consciousness in creative and unusual ways. And that anyone can do it. Well, now I want to point out the fact that you’re already partway there. And if you take the time to build on what you’ve got, you can discover some potentially life-changing experiences. Read More »
- Last time out, I started a new series called Essential Ideas. This time, I wanted to start another ongoing series that would be more applicable to daily life. Everyday Awareness is about all the creative ways that you can move your consciousness to improve your day-to-day existence. Practical tips on everything from work to sex to relationships. And all the ways that your consciousness can make or break your endeavors. Read More »